Anna's Shoe Shelf

When I walked into Anna's house, I couldn't help noticing her new shoe shelf. When I complimented her, she said, "When we were moving furniture around, I realized that the bookshelf that was in my bedroom was actually the shoe shelf I had been wanting for years!" It's simply made, out of rough planks, but it does a great job organizing boots and shoes for two toddlers and two grownups (our family would need a longer, taller unit for all our footwear!) and I like that she has the basket of kid socks on top for those quick rushes out the door.

Right now our shoe bin is outside in the cold (I exiled it when I got frustrated with the piles of galoshes everywhere) and shoes are frozen so that they have to be thawed before they can be worn. But the garage addition with a mudroom is being built around the bin of frozen shoes, and hopefully I will someday soon have shelves for them all! In the meantime, I am admiring Anna's.

Comments

june cleaver said…
Wow, her shoe rack is really neat and tidy. Mine has been banished to the garage as well-but it is 7 feet tall and somehow the three-year-old's shoes end up on the top shelf, and everyone else's are just scattered around the shelf... never actually utilizing it to the fullest. Oh well...
regina doman said…
I know what you mean. When we get our addition done, I plan to experiment with the shoe shelf concept and see if I can make it work for a large family.

The problem with shoe shelves is that they are most convenient in an entryway: however, if they are in an entryway, they must be kept neat or else the entryway always looks messy.

If we didn't live in the muddy country, I'd do what my parents did and have the kids keep shoes in their rooms, not in the entryway. Ah well!
Beth said…
Hi Regina,
My mom just bought me your book, Angel in the Waters. I love it! I'm reading it to my unborn daughter tonight ;-)
anna always does the cleverest simplest things. Why haven't we put a sock basket near our shoe bins for years? Brilliant!

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars