Personal Grooming


When I was a kid, I had the perpetual "absent-minded professor" look, with everything that implies. My own kids appear to have inherited my genes in that regard, plus my super-fine hair that looks bedraggled again five minutes after it's brushed... Last week, at my husband (who is meticulous about his personal appearance, thank God) suggested we add "personal grooming" to the homeschool curriculum. So I set up a mirror, a comb, brush, and cup of water and tried to demonstrate combing and wetting down hair to the three-year-old (the older ones fortunately had more of an idea of what to do). He became really enthusiastic, and when he finished, our baby took over. For about a half hour she sat and brushed and combed her hair till it was wet and dripping... Maria Montessori says to notice when kids are engrossed in a motor activity such as this one, and when at all possible, don't disturb them until they've finished. Scientists say they're growing brain cells by the repetition. So I didn't disturb the baby -- but I DID take her picture.
If we had the space, I'd love to keep a baby-size grooming area like this set up in our home (Montessori schools have such an area). But since this one was set up on the block box, I had to dismantle it. I've seen friends of mine set up places in their bathrooms -- when I get a chance, I'll have to post some more pictures of theirs.

Comments

That photograph is adorable! Priceless.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars