Wedding Present Put to Use


(I feel this should be a headline!)

If my kitchen were bigger, I'd have this very useful cake stand on display all the time, even just to hold dried flowers or small statues. This was a wedding gift from a dear childhood next-door neighbor, who gave every Doman bride one of these cake stands, which reverses to make a punch bowl. Even though these days, it usually sits on top of my refridgerator gathering dust, it can be uncommonly useful, especially today, when I wanted to keep a decorated birthday cake out of the refridgerator and also out of reach of little hands.

And, as a copywriter in the late-and-returning Victoria magazine wrote, desserts displayed under glass heighten anticipation. This is definitely true of my children, including the birthday girl, who, having sighted her cake, is setting the table for her party this afternoon now. (Say a prayer for her and her party if you think of it! I hope to blog about it later.)


At any rate, I would put this cake stand down on my list of entertaining necessities, and yes, I would definitely recommend it as a useful and pretty gift for a new bride.

Comments

Peony Moss said…
I love cake, and I especially love a magnificent cake displayed on a cake stand.

And it's really true that Victoria is coming back?!
Anna said…
I have coveted that thing for years. Alyssa Hichborn also got one for her wedding. . . I remember.

The cake looks very cute!

anna
Anonymous said…
Very nice photo - beautiful birthday cake! You've really made my day! no, my week! with the news of Victoria returning!!!
regina!!! I can't believe VICTORIA is coming back. Anna and I spent so many wonderful afternoons reading that, growing up. I am sooooooooo excited!!!
Fe said…
They're an item I've always loved:-) I have a couple of cake stands, but the addition of the glass dome really adds to it:-)

My mother-in-law has one, it lives on the end of her counter. Puggle loves to check it out when he arrives to visit!
Julie said…
I just love cake stands! Hope your birthday girl had a wonderful party!
regina doman said…
Thanks everyone! As far as I know, Victoria is re-launching! Check out the link I posted. When I went searching for the defunct Victoria magazine site, I found it instead. So ... stay tuned!
Abigail said…
I love to make triple-decker cakes, but, alas!, I have no cake stand or glass-domed top. We did, however, recieve a large, plastic goose lamp for our wedding...

The cake and your stand are lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars