Preparing for the Baby...

You would think that after having six kids, babies would become "old hat." But the paradox is that each sucessive baby becomes more precious. Is it because you recognize how short a time babyhood actually is? I feel as though I spent all my time with my first baby anxiously awaiting milestones: lifting the head, rolling over, crawling, walking... But now, I'm more delighted in the baby just being an infant, small, helpless, utterly adorable.

And with every new baby, I try to gather a few things that are special and new just for them. As I prepare for my December 27 due date, here are a few things I'm setting aside: a silk-and-wool infant cap from Nova Natural. It's dreamily soft and finely made. A thrift-store find of a never-used cotton velour sweater in soft green. Also from Nova Natural: a spiral crystal rainbow maker. Hang one of these in the bedroom window and your baby will have rainbows to play with! (I actually was so enchanted with this one that I gave it as a present to my godbaby, Chelsea Anne, this past weekend.) And lastly, I'm working on making a baby quilt out of small squares of Liberty of London fabric I found on ebay. Unusual for me, I'm sewing this by hand, since these days I find myself with more waiting-around time than sewing machine time. I think the peacefulness of the handwork is just what I need right now...

Comments

Julie said…
Oh, how wonderful to be preparing for a new little life during this special time of year! Praying for a safe delivery for you and baby...
Kristyn Hall said…
I have experienced the same. With my first two babies (girls) I had a ready eye for all the "milestones." The next three (all boys) have been much more enjoyed---the milestones were almost disappointing because it meant they were growing up and leaving behind the sleepy baby days. I am again expecting (due in June) and I find I am learning to appreciate the entire process without the "I can't wait until..." syndrome. I wish I would have felt this way with the first babies, but then I guess this is something only taught by experience. God bless you during this last month.
Lots of prayers sent your way!

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars