Smocked Summer Dress

While shopping with my guardian angel and praying for a good deal on a limited budget, I found some already-smocked fabric at WalMart on clearance and used it to make matching skirts for myself and the older girls. I had lots leftover, so I made dresses for the two younger girls. This one turned out particularly well.

I just used two rectangles of cloth to make a bodice, and attached it to a gathered skirt, which I stretched out while attaching it so that the fabric gathered. Thus.
After I attached the bodice, I gathered the neck and armholes with elastic and presto! A dress!

The material was so gauzy that I put an underskirt of dark blue cloth trimmed with cotton lace eyelet at the bottom to weight the skirt a bit. I love when a little effort produces such a charming result!

Comments

Friar Suppliers said…
Regina I want to come to your home and have you teach me how you do everything. This blog is such a source of inspiration to me. I get a little thrill every time I see you've posted something.
Hummingbirder said…
Wow! You're amazing!! I like the fabric and I love smocking. I found a pretty Laura Ashley jumper with smocking today at Goodwill!
That is wonderful! And I really like the pictorial!

Your little model has a darling head of hair, too!
Julie said…
What a sweet dress!
Kristyn Hall said…
It's charming! :)
Unknown said…
Darling dress and child!

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars